We suffered. We bled. And we finished. Together. It's always more fun with the fam!
UPDATE: As of August 2016, Battlefrog has cancelled all its races. We lucked out.
If you rolled through, let me know what you thought about this trip by filling out this feedback form right hurr.
Battlefrog provided our bibs. We ran with old shoes/sneaks and clothes we didn't care about. Dakine bladder pack filled with protein shake and snacks. GoPro cameras with chesty and Jobe tripod. Check Outerthere recommendations on what to bring to an OCR.
Here's what I've learned. Obstacle course races like Spartan and Tough Mudder attract this weird group of masochists. They love torturing themselves (read: pushing themselves) with epic levels of pain and discomfort (read: take on challenges) for cheap hunks of metal that can only be completed when you do more than one race. And for some reason, they pay for this! Several times per year, even! I don't get it...
...but here I am doing them, too. Because here's what I've come to appreciate. People who go through these experiences together tend to get closer as friends and family. That's basically why these races exist, why there's so many, and why people keep doing them. And hey, that's basically us - Outerthere Fam is all about that life!
Last year, we tried a Spartan Race, a GoRuck Lite, and a Warrior Dash and they were dope. And on June 18, we're gonna try out Battlefrog in Stanhope, NJ and it's also gonna be dope. Yeah man. So, here's what you gotta do:
- First, visit http://battlefrogseries.com/events/race/tri-state-i-obstacle-race
- Select Mid-day races. Under the Registration link, you'll be asked if you want some Extreme and Elite races. Select the 8K open.
- For Step 1: You'll then end up at form to enter all your info. At the end, when asked about the team, select "Outerthere Fam!"
- For Step 2: It'll ask you about your start time. Select 11am. It's a regular waiver, so you can agree to it.
- For Step 3: I did not select the cancellation protection for $8. I won't miss the event, rain or shine.
- For Step 4: The price will come out to $89 - $36.50 = $53.50 as promised because you're in the midday wave. However, there's $16 in random "fees" so the price goes back up to $69.50. So, you go ahead and be sneaky right back and use the following $20 off promo/discount code "BFALLI". That'll bring your total to $48.62, assuming you did not opt for the cancellation protection.
After, you'll receive the following: a course map and recommendations on what to bring and expect. However, here's what I'm telling you to bring (scroll down to #OCR)
And when you're done with all that, please please PLEASE sign up to the form below to let me know if you're going. I'm coordinating transportation and want to make sure you're included.
If we rent a car, it would be approximately $50/pp if 4 go. The price goes down if more go, so sign you and let yo' boy know quick so I figure out which type of van to rent. As always, if you sign up, you'll be included in the last-minute email with additional information about meeting time and place.
PLEASE DISREGARD THE TIMES POSTED HERE OR ANYWHERE ELSE. ONLY THE EMAIL I SEND YOU AFTER YOU'VE SIGNED UP WILL CONTAIN THE MOST ACCURATE INFORMATION ABOUT OUR TRIP.